CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 2... My first love

Wow this post is going to take me down memory lane!

My first love was a boy that I met at summer camp right before my Junior year of highschool. He was in my family group and asked me for my email at the end of the week (like we all did) and I thought nothing of it. He started emailing me and then we started talking on AOL and finally graduated to the phone after a few months.

We were each other's first kiss, first relationship and first heartbreak. We had a lot of good times and thinking back makes me laugh because for the first 6 months we had a blast then the rest of the time we pretty much fought. Constantly. We were long distant- just 45 minutes but that can seem like an eternity when you are 16 and at the time my parents didn't allow me to drive outside of The Woodlands so he always had to come get me. He was hilarious, really sweet and a hopeless romantic. I had a few guy friends that he didn't like too much and our fighting really got worse when he wanted me to ditch them for our relationship. Even back then I somehow knew how important it is to have a balance and to keep your friends and family as part of your life regardless of your relationship status so I didn't give in. In the end the jealousy really ended our relationship and it was for the better because we fought entirely too much!

I wish I could say we just had a normal break-up but we didn't- we kept in touch for years, checking-in when one of us was single, texting randomly and I think just keeping ourselves in the back of each other's mind. For me it was more of a security blanket thing- I just wanted to remind myself that someone loved me at some point but it was super unhealthy. I dated quite a few boys in college before I met Ryan and never really cared about any of them as much as I had once cared for Caleb so it never bothered me to keep in touch with him. Then I met Ryan and everything changed- I have to say that although it was unhealthy I am glad I didn't get a ton of heartbreaks throughout my dating life. Even though it wasn't fair to whomever I was dating because I never really let my guard down I know it was because God was preparing me for Ryan and protecting me from being hurt by others for whatever reason. 

My first love is not one that I will forget but also not one that I ever think about. My love for Ryan is so much bigger, stronger and more real than I could have ever imagined that it makes my history blurry. Is that how all of you feel about your First Loves?

0 comments: