CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 12, 2010

I know I haven’t given an update on my Grandmother in a while- she has been moved to a long term care facility and will stay there until April. April 1st is the end of the road for her hospital time as this is when her insurance runs out. I can’t believe she has been in the hospital for almost 5 months…I just received a call from my mom letting me know that my Grandmother’s trach has been capped. Meaning she is breathing through her nose only. My Mom spoke to her this morning on the phone and it is still like speaking to a small child so she is having a very hard time. They gave her a swallowing test and she passed with flying colors. So they will now start her on soft foods and than in a week or 2 if all goes well, she will have the trach removed completely! She has started receiving memory therapy this week as well. She could not remember how many brothers and sisters she has, how many children, where she was born and how many dogs she owned. This made my Grandmother very upset and she has been crying a lot. She is still having problems walking and standing but the mere fact that she is able to take any steps and to speak words at all are miracles in themselves!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers, we hope that she will continue to progress.

It definitely makes my job even more meaningful everyday knowing that my work with the American Heart Association is helping her to survive.

1 comments:

Jalei & Lane

I hope your gma continues to get better. Her small steps are HUGE improvements!