CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Many of you know that last November my Grandma had triple bypass surgery on her heart. During her recovery she suffered from a massive stroke that put her into a coma. We were not sure that she would survive and she spent months going back and forth from long term rehab to hospital stays.

We spent Christmas day in the long term facility with her and thankfully by this point she had come out of the coma and could recognize us but could not speak or walk. Thankfully by January she was walking and could say a few words. Now, close to a year from her surgery she can walk and talk however saying what she is thinking is very difficult. Like many stroke victims the part of her brain that controls the way she articulates has not yet healed. Over time this could change.

My Grandma was always one of my biggest fans. Every time we saw her she would tell us how proud she was of my sister and I. Living far away from her we didn't see her on a regular basis but when we did get together she was always so positive, sweet and excited that the family was together.

Today is my Grandma's birthday. This is a day that we really felt like would not come- the fact that she has another year of life to celebrate is so amazing and a true miracle. My Mom is very close to my Grandma and I am so glad that she is able to spend today with her Mother.

Most of you also know that I work for the American Heart Association. I am entering into my 3rd year with this great organization and I have to say that I feel like I am fighting for my Grandma every day. When I took this job and moved to Fort Worth I was excited to be part of a non-profit with a cause but I am here now because I feel like every dollar I raise, every newsletter I design, every school I recruit to participate in Jump Rope and Hoops for Heart is giving my Grandma one more day. Maybe even one more birthday. She has recieved the best care possible and it is because of the work that the American Heart Association does through of the funding from our amazing donors. Although most of my volunteers will never read this I want to say Thank you. Thank you for your support.

God has been so faithful to my family and myself over the last 9 months and today is a blessing that we are over-joyed about. Thank you for blessing us with my Grandma and for keeping her safe the last 9 months. Happy birthday Grandma- I love you!

0 comments: